Logo

150 HP Mercury Black Max XR4 motor dies

bullseye108

i have a 150 hp black max xr4 outboard when i start it up in the morning it starts good and will run good till it gets warm even close to wide open then it will all of a sudden die, it doesn't even sputter it just turns off, usually can run for 20 minutes or so before it dies. I have to let it cool down completely before it will start again. Just wanted to get some ideas what the problem could be or if someone else has had the same problem.

What is you temp gauge reading? Do you have a water pressure gauge? Warning alarm going off? On muffs? This and any other info will help.

temp qauge gets up about half way which is where it normally runs, i dont have a water pressure gauge and there are no warning alarms going off. have not had on muffs. The motor gets warmed up temp gauge gets up to normall and then it just dies

Sounds like the stator is getting hot, and causing an open in the coils. You can check this with an ohm meter and a hair drier to get the stator hot while on muffs. Heat the stator then see if you have spark, if so then what I am thinking is wrong, If no spark then check for an open on stator and if you have an open then you willo have to replace the stator. Hope this helps.

i found out that the stator is a little over a year old it was replaced just before i bought the boat, he also said that is the second time he has replaced the stator in three and a half years. I will test the stator to see if it is the problem now, if it is what else would cause it to go bad

Back