Logo

No power... any thoughts on this?

Andy Sousa

Hello forum and thank you. Long time reader first time poster. This is a huge resource.

At any rate, I have a 175hp Yamaha 2 stroke on my 22 Grady White. The last few times out I have lost power completely from the engine. Full throttle results in the engine sounding completely bogged down with no power. It will at times try to rev up and then completely bog down again. We had a tech out on the boat this past week who said it was simple just the fuel filter / separator. I replaced that immediately and went out again yesterday. Still the same issue.

What I found to get the motor to full speed again was having someone hold the choke out. With the choke out, the engine ran perfect at full throttle. Obviously not so perfect at low speed so had to push it back in.

Trying to get the tech back out this week, but figured I would throw this out there to see if anyone has ever had a similar situation.

Thanks so much
Andy

Fuel flow is the issue. You are forcing more fuel through carbs by vacuum action with choke closed since less air is allowed through. Check carbs and check fuel pump.

Back