Logo

outboard wiring loom

thunderstruck87

G'day
I am refurbishing me outboard and instead of buying a whole new wiring loom I am going to rewire the engine myself
I am wondering does anyone know what amperage rated cable I should use I have drawings and they dont specify anything

Cheers

Use the old wire harness (loom) as a guide. You will need a wire stripping tool to strip insulation off the ends for connections. A good tool has a wire gauge stamped on the various cutting slots. Use it to measure the old wire diameters. If you can afford it buy tinned wire; it will last a long time w/o internal corrosion issues. If you go the cheaper way then buy a good soldering iron and tin the stripped ends of the wires before installing connectors. Solder the wire to the connector and shrink wrap it. Use liquid rubber to paint over the connection after it is made.

A tip when using shrink wrap on wire: slide the shrink wrap about a foot away from the connection when soldering it. Slide it over the connector after the solder cools and then apply heat to the wrap to seal it.

Back