Logo

F4 2009 won't start; oil from sump into cylinder

Ruudb

I have a F4 four-stroke from 2009; the problem with this outboard is that when you transport it not completely liying flat, oil will leak from the sump into the cylinders so starting the engine is impossible; the oil prevents the cylinders to move. In the past 2 years this has happened twice already. Annd each time this had to be repaired by the dealer.

Can anyone tell me how i can reapoir this myself? In my opinion i have to unscrew the sparkplugs, let the oil come out of the cylinders and try to clean it as much as possible, add new oil and that's it? Or am I wrong? Does someone has the same problems?

With the 2010 models they have fixed this; they even advertise that with these new outboards it can never happen again. By the way the same goes for the four stroke F5 and F6.

You are on the right track. Drain the carb float bowl too. Store the F4 with front down for best results. We send these out in float planes as rentals and no real issues unless the lower end is up in the air too.

PBRMAN,

Thx !!

The dealer told me to transport the outboard always laying on her side, flat on the tiller handle; so I better transport it laying flat on her nose, so with the propellor faced upright in the air.

But can you help me out with the carb float bowl? What do you mean by that?

Verify ( owners manual ) that you are laying the motor down correctly !!!----------------If you lay it down wrong you will have this problem.---------Lay it down with handle UP and see what happens.

Verify ( owners manual ) that you are laying the motor down correctly !!!----------------If you lay it down wrong you will have this problem.---------Lay it down with handle UP and see what happens.

Yes, I know. What the dealer told me is according the owners manual. Yet this outboard is very very sensible regarding the oil leaking from the sump. The first time this happened and the dealer told me I had transported it the wrong way I hardly could believe I did something wrong for I had been very careful about this issue.

But after the second time it happened I was 100% sure I really had transported it the right way, no doubt about it. Yet it occured again.

That's why the new models from 2010 onwards don't have this problem anymore; they even advertise with this.

But I reply on the previous replier so I will transport it the way he described from now on. And also I know now how to solve the problem when it happens again; It saves me 100 Euros each time.

Maybe there is a " language translation " problem in the manual.-----------------100 euros to fix this each time is far too much money, dealer is doing very well I think.

Well in the manual there is also a picture of the position it should be transported; so ................ And 100 Euro's is too much? Well I guess you're right but now I know how to fix it myself .................

Back