Logo

Yamaha 150HP SaltWater Series starting Problem

lund007blue

I have got a yamaha 150hp saltwater series 150F . It starts 1st time on land and 1st time on the water. After we travel for 30minutes and turn engine off, it will not restart. We have to wait about 1 hour and raise engine(don't know if this actually does anything, I think it is just the waiting). After an hour the engine will start and run fine. We did have some rubbish go through the fuel line. Have since replaced fuel tank fuel ine up to primer bulb and fuel filter. Have also replaced water catcher.
Has anyone had the same problem.:confused:

Yes, I have a 96 200hp salt water series with the same problem. I am not the greatest typer, I would like to talk on the phone about this or we can use this form. Had to get towed in yesterday thankyoyu seatow. My number is 609-440-2670

Last edited:
Hi John, I have still not found the problem. We did manage to get the motor started by lifting it up and leaving it for about 1 hour. We then primed the bulb and it started 1 st time.
I will let you know if we come up with a solution.:confused:

I have the same problem! Except mine is not a saltwater series. It started up yesterday when we got to the lake.After running for about an hour, we anchored to go swimming .After about 30 minutes we jumped in to go and it would not start! I just had the boat serviced and they could not replicate the problem. Frustrating.Any help is [email protected]

Hi Carlos, I have been in contact with a Yamaha service technician and he has told me that the problem is the fuel in the carby is being evaporated by the hot engine, he said try a cold start (prime bulb and give it some choke), if this does not work then you have to wait about an hour and it should start up again after it has cooled. I don't know why this has all of sudden started, maybe it's got something to do with the fuel.
I have had the block taken away and cleaned ,but there was no restrictions. The overheating alarm has not sounded either.
Next time I go out I will take the cowling off to help it cool down. I will also add a fuel additive.
Hope this helps.

Hi guys, I have hered about the evaperation theory but I fish with another yamaha150 salt w 2 owner all the time and he has no problems. I am having the carbs rebuilt because the mechanic says at low rpms # 6 wont run. They are supose to do it Fri 8-27. I have been fishing but I start it every 10 min. I will let you know how I make out.

I took the boat out on Fri night with the evaporation theory in mind. I travelled no more than 5-10kms and didn't give it full power. I then anchored and fished for a couple of hours and it started 1st time.
I then moved on 3 more occasions and kept about 1 hour between moving and I had no problems.

Back