Logo

Yamaha 5MLHX 5Hp starting issue

skanman

I have a 1999 Yamaha 5HP outboard motor for a small aluminum bottom boat. About three weeks ago I took the boat to a local lake and went fishing. I might have put 5hrs on the motor that weekend. The motor had no problems.

The following week I took the boat out to a different lake about 100 miles away. I got the boat there at night and the following morning put the boat in the water. It started just fine, so I let it warm up while turning the choke off. After it was warm, I put it in gear and it died. I started it again and let it warm up for another five minutes. When I put it in gear, it died again. When I went to start it the third time, it wouldn't start. I tried to start it for the next three hours (on and off). I tried different combinations of throttle, choke, and even turning the gas off to try and help with a possible flooding issue. Nothing worked.

So about a week ago, I started it in my garage in a bucket of water. Its started but died after about thirty seconds. I have tried changing the spark plug the next day and that worked for about the same amount of time. I have changed the gear oil, played with the idle mixture screw for hours, thought about spraying ether in the intake but didn't.

I am at a loss as to what the problem could be. Any suggestions, Ideas?

Back