Logo

Transom problems...need help asap

tommyboy

Ok, my outboard recently crap the bed. I pulled off the old motor and sold it for parts. I own a 1992 Javelin 389, love the boat! Here's my problem. I recently had a MinnKota talon installed. I hired my local shop to pull the motor and add the bracket needed for the Talon. The mechanic said that when looking at my transom he noticed the wood inside was a little dark (motor mount holes) but nothing to really be concerned about considering the age of the boat. So I let it go....

I just found an outboard that I want to purchase. I went out this morning to clean up my transom and 5200 some older screws (3 screws) that I knew were not sealed. They were from the original depth finder. The bottom screw came out and looked fine. The middle screw came out along with a little stream of water! It drained for about a 30-45 seconds, now just drips. What should I do? I'm about to purchase a Johnson 175 Fast strike and I don't know if my transom needs work? Should I be concerned? Should I just let it drip until it stops and seal it up? I don't know what to do.....HELP please! I don't want to purchase a motor if I need a transom!

What should I use to seal the motor mount holes if I decide to mount the motor....4200?:confused:

Replacing the transom on that boat is NOT an easy task. But... I sure sounds to me like it needs it. Any time a screw hole pees water for that long you have a LOT of water penetration and that is NOT good. NO WAY would I be hangin a 175 on it until I had it thoroughly checked. But I'm guessing it's SHOT.

Yikes.... don't say it aint so...

Even though there's no flexing or cracking in the transom? I would think it would show some kind of give if it needs to be rebuilt.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it HAS to be done NOW but... Once the wood is wet it will begin to rot and eventually fail. You can probably get by the rest of this season but I would definetly have it checked extensively over the winter. You sure would NOT want to lose the motor to the bottom of the lake or worse yet sink the boat.

Back