Logo

2001 - DT 225 issue - Cylinders 3 and 4 are out

Eric Gill

Having some issues. Boat felt really bogged down so i changed plugs. Checked compression and I have 128-132psi on all cylinders.

Cylinder #4 plugs were clean as a whistle and obviously haven't fired since plugs were replaced. Cylinder 3 is also now out. Checked voltage at coils and got 110v on all coils except the bad ones. Cylinder 3 was at around 5 volts and i think it does fire when rpm's crank up. Seloc manual is terrible and only gave me resistance #'s so i don't know what these #'s should have been. Pulled flywheel checked pulser coils and they all checked out ok in terms of ohms #'s given in the Seloc. (BTW, is gear counting coil/sensor same as the pulser coils?) I checked voltages coming out with dva and they seemed pretty well balanced (i think around 11 volts each, but i really don't recall as my boat mechanic friend was writing these things down)--again, i dont recall what they were testing at but they all appeared to be similar.

Seemed like we had power headed to the CDI but obviously not coming out in spots. Is this a regular culprit? Mechanic friend was telling me that Japanese electronics, especially those made by Mitsubishi are usually pretty solid and generally only fail with corrosion, etc. Also, could the expensive ICM be a potential problem?

Thanks...

Back