Logo

Timing and fuel consumption twin engines 350 cid

paw2000

Contributing Member
On going issue on new engines, they both start and run smoothly, where the issue seems to be is timing (lack of ) and fuel consumption between the 2 engines. My starboard engine (counter rotating) seems to use a lot more fuel then port. The port engine maybe at 2400 rpm's and about half throttle, to get the starboard at that rpm its more like 3/4 throttle. I checked the timing of the port motor using a digital advancing light and set rpms to 2000 and then checked timing, it was 25.9 degrees, idled back to 800 and I was looking at 6 degrees initial. I set the starboard engine to as close to that, and it doesn't "sound" right. The startup seems weak, the starter turns its over very quick, just not that quick fire up. I ran the engines about 4 hours yesterday, seemed to run well, the throttles positions levers were still off, so it made running at speed tougher to move in unison.

Before changing the timing on the starboard engine, I had located TDC ( as best as I could, have tool from Summitt on order) and marked the balancer. After looking at different balancer types, it appears I have a balancer marked for vertical timing tab ( chevy used 3 types vertical, 2:00 o'clock and 2:30 o'clock positions) So my timing is definitely off, would this cause a higher fuel consumption? I had not made any changes to the port motor and that has been fine. The starboard got changed when the engine was installed the dizzy had to be removed.

I'm going down to the boat tonight, and will take pictures of the balancer and timing marks. The timing light I used is all digital, you can read rpms on the display and then switch to timing and step thru by 10ths of a degree. Once the tool arrives to check tdc, I'll remark the balancer with timing tapes.

The motors are both the same specs http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW-GM-350-5-7-L-MARINE-ENGINES-MERCRUISER-CRUSADER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35b3cde675QQitemZ230649882229QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_1892wt_1165

T
his is what I have, bought last year in September, took me this long to get the boat ready.

Check the TDC with a screw driver in the spark plug hole. GM made so many different parts up front, you cannot count on anything you dont know for certain.

You can get a Degree reference or make one, and mark what is 'supposed' to be the Target Degrees.
It's a good thing you have two side by side. You should have that timing figured out in an hour with those kind of perks! ;)

I'm sorry I never had trouble with my 327's now, or I'd be able to contribute to your timing questions. I dont think the Right-hand or left-hand rotation should make a difference.

My 327 Quadrojets used about 9-11 Gph at cruise, 2200-2400 Rpm, and more than 13 if you got those big Toilet bowls opend up. (my Boys just loved that sound)

Here is 2 pictures of my balancer, they show 2 different marks plus the additional mark I made for what I thought was TDC.http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/IMG_0263.jpg http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/IMG_0260.jpg The word vertical written on the balancer might mean this balancer was used for a van application where the timing marks were checked behind the water pump.

Tonight went for a ride, about 8 mile round trip, saw the sites behind Ocean City Nj, ran ok, got it up on plane about 2400rpm, just to see how far off the engines are, the port motor easily reved over 3000 and had plenty left, the starboard struggled to get 3000 was nearly maxed out on the throttle, GPS clocked me at 30.1kts, 2400 rpm GPS showed 21kts, if I can get this motor running correctly, might hit 40kts (maybe I'm dreaming)

Yup I dont know what I'm looking at other than timing indicators.
On one engine, the left hand rotation or odd rotation, the Vibrations dampener will be turning the opposite way of the Normal engine.

So shorten your timing efforts with my Shade Tree mechanics.
Find TDC on both with the Screwdriver in the #1 Plug hole in each engine.
Now....try to mark your target advance reading at 2000 Rpm.

Establish that mark on the normal rotating engine.
Make a similar mark on the Odd engine.
Then set timing on both engines the same and test.

When you ram the trottles FWD the Boat should take off in a straight line!

Back