Logo

What's the Difference between Stators

Bill K

Contributing Member
fastjeff suggested I get a used stator oneBay and I came across 6 or 7 stators with the same number as mine except the last 3 digits were diff. I saw 398-9710A30 A32 A34 A36 etc. Mine is 398-9710A33 So what is the difference???

On a CDI site I saw that the CDI Stator #174-9710K1 replaces all of those stators. I can buy a brand new CDI stator from outboard ignition.com for 183.75

Used stators run about 100-125 on ebay probably better to just buy a new one.

The last 3 digits are just the revision level. I agree, when it comes to electronics I would never buy a used one unless I absolutely had to.

There has got to be more then just a revision #, like a longer or shorter wire or a different plug, better wireing. more or less windings or something other wise wouldn't they just keep the same unit?

Just a manufacturing change. They are interchangeable. Get a used one that is guaranteed good and give it a try.

Jeff

Since mine is an A33 I guess an A34 or A35 should work and both are newer then mine, and the wireing should be exactly the same, is that correct?

Hello FastJeff, I went to eBay and typed in (Mercury Stator 398-9710) and 6 popped up, I enlarged all the pictures and they all appear similar but have diff wires, one had 5 wires, one had 7 wires, one had a black wire, none had wires like mine. Mine has 6 wires, two yellow, one red, one red/white, one blue, and one blue/white and the prices were from 119 to 265. I guess if you really know what you are doing and I don't they will work. My switchbox even has wording that tells what color wire goes where.

Do you agree with galamb's statement that the blue/blue white stator wires are the low end and not the hi end

Yes. Merc changed their color codes in the '80s to help confuse us, but the stators work the same.

Confused?

Me too!

Jeff

Back