Logo

mariner 60hp 3cyl 1989

hi guys hope you can help engine wont start got good spark that jumps good compresion 125 psi new fuel wont start what to look for next fuel is being pumped it to carb

The enricher ("choke") may not be working, or you have the throttle open too much (which limits its effectiveness). Try shooting some gas into the carbs (throttle open) to get her going. Then, with it warmed up and high idling, work the enrichener; the motor should slow and try to stall. If not, the circuit is plugged and will need cleaning.

Jeff

thanks for reply done what you said started up fine had it tick in over fine go to start it again need to put gas in carb to get it to run

Okay. That says the enrichener circuit in the carbs is plugged. You'll have to pull the 'carbies' off, soak them overnight in cleaner, and blow the passages out with compressed air--especially the tiny holes in the carb base.

Jeff

heres update striped carb cleaned out used compesor to blow out put back on still the same having to put fuel in carb to get it going when it starts its fine it just when i stop the engine it wont star back up unless i put some fule in carb so any more hellp please as getting to me now thanks

when you start the engine, you're pushing the key in for a few (5 - 10) seconds, right? When you push the key in, do you hear the enricher valve "click"?

You can manually operate the enricher by pushing the button on the bottom. Take a flashlite and look in the carb throat with the throttle open wide, operate the enricher, can you see fuel flowing into the very back of the carb? if not you have a plugged enricher line or a plugger enricher circuit in the carb itself. The enricher does the same thing as you squirting fuel in the carb, you might also back out the needle valve a quarter to a half turn

I don't think it matters if the plunger is top or bottom as long as it lets fuel flow from the enricher to the carb. Did you check to see if fuel is flowing thru the carb and coming out at the very back of the carb.
also there is a small hose that connects the enricher to the carb, if you pull that hose and see fuel run out when the enricher is activated the problem is in the carb, if no fuel the problem is the hose is plugged or the enricher is not working correctly, you can also further check the hose outlet from the enricher, just pull the out hose from the enricher and see if fuel comes out there. it's a simple process of elimination

i dont have that type of enricher i now the one you are on about the one i have i a solinoid at top of engine witch just acks like choke not tryed yet working going to have a go weekend ps no hose on solinoid thanks rob

update
had good crack at this today swaped carbs which i no a good ones still had to put fuel in carb to get going ajusted mixture go to tick over but the bottom carb made no difrance when i turned the screw and its same with the other carbs so could it be the reed valves

Back