Logo

1992 60hp Outboard Merc

docs

Hi,
I'm new to boating and my warning buzzer went off on my 60hp 1992 Merc today. It was a intermittant buzzer which I'm told is my low oil alarm. My oil was not low--Is it a faulty sensor and what should I do? Also--may be a dumb question--but where do we put normal engine oil in the motor or is it just the 2 stroke oil that mixes with the gas that needs to be put in?

Thanks

Docs

If your engine has a 2 cycle oil tank on the engine or you add 2 cycle oil to the fuel tank then that's all the engine oil it uses. The lower unit or leg of the engine uses high pressure 80/90 wt. marine oil.

Ugh! In my CG Auxiliary class, I beat into my students' heads that "Two stroke motors ALWAYS burn oil!" This is to prevent somebody from running the oiling system dry and frying their power head.

We've gotten so used to modern car/ truck engines that run forever without using oil that... You know.

Jeff

Thanks--But my oil level was more than half way full??? The buzzer went off once I opened it up a bit. It was the intermittent buzzer--would it just be a faulty sensor???

...would it just be a faulty sensor???

Disconnect the oil level sensor and see if the buzzer still comes on. If not then you found the problem. Make sure you inspect the wiring for intermittent shorting.

The senser is in the bottom of the oil tank, mine has the two wires from it go to a pull apart plug that was between the starter and the switch box. I had the same problem, pulled the wires apart and the buzzer stopped. The cure is a new oil tank because the float stopped floating and sank and the float cannot be replaced. I just turn and look at the sight gauge and never let it go below 1/4 full

My wife will not go out with me unless I have a spare qt of 2 stroke oil I can always dump in the gas tank and a one gal can of gas in case I run out of gas. Been there, done that, and each time she was with me.

I found out the hard way that a 6 gal tank of gas has almost one gal of unusable fuel in it because the pickup tube is almost one inch from the bottom of the tank.

Thanks--I found the two wires--is that the only thing that intermittent horn is for? I disconnected one of them and it stopped--should I disconnect both? Thanks again

Your welcome, there is another buzzer that should beep when you turn the key on, that is the overtemp warning.
As far as the two wires, I unplugged both, one of them is hot, so make sure you secure then good.
I am not an expert here I just had the same issue as you and knew the fix, i am trying to get my new issue fixed.

Once again--Thanks alot--It makes being a new boat owner a little better and cheaper lol --cheers and safe boating from Ontario

Hello
My oil tank started filling up with gasoline,so I changed out the check valve, I also took off my oil tank reserve and I did some hoses so I need to bleed them I believe I was wondering if you could tell me how the proper way to go about that would be thank you and that is from a 1992 Mercury 60 horsepower

Back