Logo

1999 Mercury Nitro Series 175 "Motor dying when I throttle AFTER the engine is hot."

basscop66

I have a 1999 Nitro NX 882 with a Mercury Nitro Series 175 EFI 2 stroke outboard.

The engine fires right up first thing in the morning and gets right up on plane. Well, at least it did a couple weeks ago. After trolling around fishing for a couple hours, fired up the engine, BUT, when I throttle down to go, it dies. I put it back in neutral and it fires right up...throttle down, it dies. Start it up again, just take it barely out of neutral, and it will stay running at a slow idle, BUT, give it just the slightest more throttle, it dies.

Prior to this problem, it was running good, but would occasionally die while going full speed down the lake....not fun taking on the ensuing wake behind me when that happens. It would die just like I had pulled the kill cord.

I have replaced the plugs, fuel filter, and impeller this year. I am at a complete loss here. Don't have the extra cash to drop it off to get fixed, so I'm looking for a solution that I may be able to fix myself. ANY help at all would be GREATLY appreciated. REALLY want to get out on the water and fish, but don't want to risk getting on the water and getting stranded.

Thanks,
Rick

Back