Logo

Alternator Brackets

stkcode

I have a 1953 208 HP 6-71 Detroit naturally aspirated, which I believe has 2 exhaust valves and not 4.
It originally had a generator that someone converted to an alternator. Well, they did a pretty poor job. I've tried the local Detroit dealer, but all they seem to be able to do is if I already have a part number or the serial off the motor.

Well, the serial off the motor is semi useless, since it originally had a generator. I need to move the alternator up from it's current location for more clearance to the air compressor cooling hose. Since I have to move it up and replace the belt with a longer one, I thought I might as well see if I can also do something about the poor installation. The alternator is at an angle (not straight with the crank).

I'm guessing the 6-71s went to belt driven alternators in the '60s? I ran across a 238 HP 6-71 but it had the alternator mounted on the lower right side (when facing the engine from the front). I need it on the same side, but on the upper right side.

Thanks.

Back