Logo

Numerous questions on my yamaha 115 v4

damianbroom

Hi , very new to the boating fraternaty, so i have a few questions .

1 how do i tell the age of my engine ?
2 bought it as stated by seller ( new plugs, coils, impellor, serviced ,petrol line , but not run for a few months !) first day out started after alot of trying , ran rough then cleared itself , ran ok ish , then very sluggish 6-10 knots with full throttle , then seemed to find its legs and poodled along ok at 32 knots . flushed out when home with fresh water , 2 days later would not start off the mufflers with a hose , sprayed easy start into carbs and then started and started fine when warmed up .?

3 took boat out, ran a little sweeter a week later , not the ten min of 6-10 knots and waiting for the finding legs and felt a little like not everything was working at same time , spark , petrol , timing etc . Was informed by previous owner that 115 v4 yamaha plus 18ft broom speed boat = 60mph !! ? best we have got is 34 mph ?

4 lst week took boat out and ran usual half ok @ 34mph , then died in mid flow , could not re start sogot towed in , seemed starter would not turn engine over smoothly ad fund that after removal of plugs , water was in 2 of the 4 plugs , turned over fine with all plugs removed ??

5 will the engine run as previous owner says ? water in plugs really bad and expensive fix ? dirty carbs stopping the engine pushing the boat to around the 60mph mark ?

whole kit etc boat trailer engine £1400 so not expectng miracles but should i spend the money ? or call it a bad hobby and move on ?

Your motor is likely a candidate for a new powerhead or major rebuild. Probably more than you paid for it.

Back