Logo

1999 115HP 4cyl. misses at around 2K rpm

Jupiter-Whaler

I have a 1999 115 ELPTO engine that starts to stumble at around 2k rpm. It also seams to load up and stall at idle if left idling for more than a few minuts. When I leave my dock at idle it will also stall after a few minuts if I dont throttle up a bit. This maks it tough to keep my wake down and navigate. I replaced the plugs with no change. I am inclined to think it is the carbs. Is their something I can add to the tank to possible clean them without disassembling them first?

Thanks,
Bill

no, you need to clean the carbs and then run seaform in the gas from now on. That will help keep thing clean and the carbon build up low in the motor.

So I assume I will need to take them off and order a gasket kit for them. How difficult would this be compared to an automobile carb? I have never really worked on a 2 stroke marine engine before. I have build several small blocks for street rods and a monster twin turbo Porsche engine though.

it is very easy, take them apart lay the pieces In a row and assy in the reverse order. clean them good and blow low pressure air through them...
I have been known to take pictures when taking something new apart, might try that, plus there are two carbs on your motor, always leave one whole to use as a sample when you think you have messed up...

one thing i failed to mention. Above 2k rpm it runs great. It pulls very strong and smooth. It just has that flat spot and the idle issue.

Also, Do you recommend the Mercury factory service manual or is there an alternative?

Back