Logo

9.9 1991 - 2 stroke lower unit take down question

abl1111

Regular Contributor
Lower unit has water intrusion. Located a leak by the oil seals that are near the bearing housing and shaft just below the water pump assembly.

Never done this and have no shop manual.

How can I R/R these oil seals ? Does the bearing housing have to come off ? Seems like that is a be'atch. If so, how does it get removed ? There is a black pick-up tube that's connected to the bearing housing - looks like it's the water intake - does that come off ? How ?

If the bearing housing does not have to come off - even better ! How do I remove these oil seals ? Does the bearing have to come out ?

Thx.

Oh, are there any free, downloadable shop manuals for this motor ? I got some awhile back for my mercruiser motor and drive - those manuals are INDESPENSIBLE.

Any help here ?

The oil seals are shot. I cannot see how to remove the bearing housing .

Also, can I start the motor with the lower unit off and a garden house rigged to the water input tube for cooling. Want to make sure the motor runs before I start throwing $$$ into this thing ...

if you are talking about the prop bearin housing here are the steps.

Removing the propeller shaft housing assembly

1. Remove the bolts from the propeller shaft housing.

2. Remove the propeller shaft housing assembly

NOTE:
• Insert flat-head screwdrivers between the
propeller shaft housing assembly and the
lower case to pry the assembly loose.

• If the propeller shaft housing assembly is
stuck to the lower case, use the special service
tools. See “Backlash” (6-17).
housing assembly 6
1. Remove the bolts 1 from the propeller
shaft housing.
2. Remove the propeller shaft housing
assembly 2.
NOTE:
• Insert flat-head screwdrivers between the
propeller shaft housing assembly and the
lower case to pry the assembly loose.
• If the propeller shaft housing assembly is
stuck to the lower case, use the special service
tools. See “Backlash” (6-17).
Disassembling the propeller shaft
assembly 6

Nope. Talking about the oil seals under the water pump. Had to break the bearing housing but still have some of the housing frozen down in place. PITA ! Need to extract the lower portion of the bearing house somehow. THis housing was shot anyway from corrosion so I know it needed to be replaced. Odd - aluminum on aluminum and it is still a bear !

****E ! I have been having a tough time getting any info with this. Can you recommend where online I might get some advice. I am slowly breaking the bearing housing into pcs for removal - it;s in htere good.

Need to know if there is a better way. And, does the shaft come right out or does it have to be released form the prop shaft gearing ?

Hate doing this blind .

WOW ! To remove the pinion gear looks like the entire guts of the lower unit have to come out !!! I don't want to do that if I can help it, even though the drive oil had water in it and the motor/drive sat for a few years unused...

After last night's attempts, I have literally chipped away at the bearing housing. It is a little ugly. I just don't want to break anything $$$$ while getting this housing out. There is so much I don't know that I am going to wait to hear from a guru...

Back