Logo

1991 40 HP Merc

bubbamarty

The warning beeper sounds intermitently. I replaced oil tank switch(#12886A 6) beeper still sounds. Took tank off and cleaned-replaced oil lines. Checked to make sure I had oil flow from oil lines. Engine pee's fine and water is luke warm even after idling 15-20 minutes it starts great and runs just fine. Any ideas as to what I should check next ? I have mixed oil with gas to insure I dont melt down the motor.

Hi thanks for the reply. The warning beeps intermitantly as soon as you turn the key to the on position /whether the motor is running or not.

Last edited:
disconnect the oil warning connector at the tank and see if it goes off.
since you have replaced the oil tank switch, I think your motor has the oil warning module, if so we will need to check it out.
what is the serial number of your motor?

I need you to test the switch (I know it's new but just to be sure) the module is on the right side about half way back, it's a 5 wire box, 2 bule,1 black,1tan,1 pur.

Disconnect both low oil sensor leads (blue) at bullet connections. Connect an ohmmeter between sensor leads. There should be no continuity through sensor. If continuity exists, sensor is faulty. If no continuity , the Warning Module is faulty. Replace Module and retest.

Hi I checked the new and the old - - the old switch had continuity which proved it was bad. The new switch did not have continuity so i will find a new warning module and let you know how it goes. Thank you very much for your help so far. All of the info you have given me is right on. Thank you again. Marty:)

Back