Logo

New boat owner with engine questions

xterra2007

I am new boat owner picked up a 1988 cc bayliner trophy.. I got home just going over I put the EARMUFFS on the motor right where the intake ports are on the motor turned water engine fired right up. question There are two holes on the close together isn't water suppose to come out of those holes when running see link for photo http://photobucket.com/boatmotor . could it be i dont have enough water pressure coming through the garden hose. the holes were wet inside with water though just not a big stream coming out

First thing to check is your impeller, which should be replaced regularly anyway. when you run it, is there no stream of water coming out anywhere? You should post more engine info. My "pee hole" is on the side, not sure about your engine setup.

the impeller was just replaced by previous owner have the receipt . I did try it again water did start to spit out of the PEE HOLE. I am assuming just not enough water is getting inside from the earmuffs and garden hose

Yes, those are exhaust relief holes.

Since the water exits down the exhaust you will get some (misting) out of them when running on muffs.

When you have it in the water you will get somewhere between a spitting to intermittent stream of water (since the lower unit is submerged and you will have more back pressure in the exhaust).

But as suggested - unless you know for sure the waterpump was serviced in the past year, I would at least replace the impeller and change the lower unit gear oil while you are at it.

The top two "killers" of older outboards are dirty carbs and rotten/broken impellers..

Back