Logo

1984 3.8 liter OMC outdrive the same as a 1984 OMC Stringer

Dear All
I've decided, after reading a post here, that I may be able to replace the transom seal on my 1984 Sea Swirl Sierra Cuddy with a OMC 3.8 liter stern drive.
I have a couple of questions
1) Is a 1984 3.8 Liter sterndrive the same as a 1984 OMC Stringer? The reason I ask is because according to the post you can replace the transom seal without removing the outdrive, just remove the propeller, however,
the intermediate and lower unit(s) seam too large to pass the rubber transom seal. And they definitly won't allow me to remove the metal retainer ring. I'm just wondering if the Stringer is a smaller unit than the model I have, allowing you to remove the seal without removing the lower unit?
2) I found a seal (OMC 909527) on ebay. However the part number on my transom seal is 909527A. Are they the same?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Welcome aboard !

Raise the drive about halfway, remove the screws in the old transom seal.

Count the holes. Are there 22 yep right off the top of my head not bad for the first time huh ?

there will be a metal flat square ring under the lip

Remove the metal ring, now remove the large clamp, yep right from behind the boat.

Now take off the old seal.

See how easy it came off, just do the opposite replacing it.

You need permetex 4200 or 5200.

Of course you got to scrape off all the old sealent off the transom.

The arrow points down.

Yes the new one will have a arrow look for it.

The new seal have 22 holes ? I guess if the old one has 22 holes and the new one has 22 holes your good to go.

The older models have i think 16 holes.

Your mauall doesn't cover the replacement of the transom seal ?

Thanks for the quick reply
Yes she's a 22 holer. With all these hot days (100+ degrees) we've been having lately it may help in getting the old seal off the outdrive. I was just concerned that I could get that little seal over the outdrive and weather I was ordering the right transom seal.
I'm so thankful for folks like yourself that put helpful instructions like this on forums. Thank you very much.
Yes my service manual does describe transom seal installation on pages 14-14 thru 14-17 but for a new engine install, not for replacing the seal on an existing unit.
I'll keep you informed. And thanks again for help.

Well, I received my transom seal a couple of days ago and have started to remove the old one. I have thoroughly cleaned the area and removed all the old sealant material, and am ready to install the new one. However, I am having a hard time getting the old seal off the outdrive. It is just too small to get past the intermediate and lower drives. I've tried stretching it but to no avail. It will only stretch so far, and it is tearing at the holes. I don't mind ruining the old seal, but I'm afraid I'm going to ruin the "NEW" seal by installing it the same way that I removed the old one.
I'm thinking of removing the "TRIM TAB". This may give me just enough on the lower drive to allow me to remove the old seal and install the new one. What do ya think?
Is this a bad idea?
Thanks , Bill

Dear chiefalen,
Eureka.I got it off. Just came in from getting it off. Got the new seal out in the hot 95degree sun. Gonna go get a 6-pak while the new one is heating up,. You are right, and I am so thankful. It took a little finagaling but it did come off and I didn't have to remove the prop or the trim tab. I'm a happy camper.
I'm going to be so happy when I think about all the money I saved. I'm retired living on Social Security and a small 401k plan. But I love taking my Seaswirl out on the lake, and getting away from all those "NUTS" on the hiway.
Thanks chiefalen. Really appreciate it, sir.

Bill

Glad i was able to help.

If you put up a general location where you live maybe one day someone here will run into you on the water.

Look in the upper right hand corner when i post you will see my town.

Good luck if you ever have more questions please ask.

Back