Logo

84 Mercury 110 9.8 Ignition Questions

7designs

I have a 1984 Mercury 110 9.8 that I got with a boat I bought. Was told the trigger coil was bad. I ordered a new trigger and put it on. I still have no spark.

I tested the new trigger coil and it is within specs for ohms.

The stator was within spec for ohms but only put out around 80 volts AC. It is suppose to be 180v. AC is right isn't it? Or should it be DC?

Is there a way to test switch box?

Coils where within spec on primary and output.

Any help greatly appreciated.

You need a DV equipped meter or a DV adapter to check the output with a regular voltmeter or multi-meter.

The ignition produces AC at the trigger and stator. It's the switchbox that (rectifies) converts it to DC, and stores it in capacitor(s) for the coils which it releases when it gets the AC pulse from the trigger.

The DV meter or adapter works like the switchbox to allow you to measure correctly. Without the adapter you can not correctly measure the AC and all the spec's are listed in DC voltages anyhow. The adapter captures what we used to call "persistent DC" (back when the test gear had tubes :)) - kinda like making a short recording of the peak power (DC is constantly at say +100 volts - AC power would swing between +100 and -100 volts - hence alternating) which it plays (in a loop) to the meter displaying the peak positive power.

So, since your trigger is new and the stator ohms are good (indicating that all the windings are intact), no spark almost certainly points to the switchbox which can not be tested.

However, if you have any doubts before dropping a couple more bills on a new switchbox, any small engine shop can generally test your stators output power (motorcycle ignitions are the same as outboards etc).

I need your serial number and I can send you some test to do. are you checking the volts coming from the stator with a DVA meter? if not you will not get the right reading. if your reading are with a DVA meter then your stator is bad.

I do not have a DVA meter. I read about it after posting on CDI's site.

I think I will replace he switch box next. Since the stator ohms are good.

Thanks for the help.

Back