Logo

Remote control: long travel to reverse

Jerry D

I have a 2002 mercury 90 HP 4 stroke. On the remote control when shifting forward the clutch picks in after a small notch ahead (abt 10 degrees of travel which I think is just fine) When shifting into reverse I have to pull the lever back a long way before it clutches in. I would say abt 50 degrees of travel. To me this is not very handy when it comes to manoeuvring and I wander if the distance of travel could be reduced with shift and or throttle cable?

If u follow the shift n throttle cables into the engine cover you should see a barrel swivel on each cable. You can turn the barrels up n down the cable to adjust the shift linkage.

If u follow the shift n throttle cables into the engine cover you should see a barrel swivel on each cable. You can turn the barrels up n down the cable to adjust the shift linkage.
Cheers for your reply!:)
I have already done that as the engine when bought was slighly in reverse gear with levers in neutral. What I really want to achieve is to reduce travel in reverse untill reverse picks in. probably that is not feasable and only thing i can do is to try to adjust the linkage as such that the travel from neutral into forward and reverse is the same.
As it is now the shift pin when in neutral is more to the ahead position than in the middle. This way the prop in disengaged so I would not touch it and trial and error untill the boat is out of the water.

Other thing, not specific same topic, but maybe some one can help is that when want to shift from forward into neutral the engine stalls at times. When doing so I make sure to engage the neutral shift lever. Engine is at working temperature and when shifting rmp is idle abt 900 rpm. When shift from reverse into neutral engine would not stall. Is there maybe a killswitch or so which is working too well?

Back