Logo

1970 Mercury 650 help

rwirtzfeld

A few months ago I took apart a 1970 to rebuild the carbs. Fast forward till now, I'm finally putting it together and can't remember how the coil mounts. I think I have it in the right spot, but the choke linkage can't be operated the way I have it, it hits the coil. Is there something wrong with the choke linkage or am I not mounting the coil right? In the picture I have posted I put a yellow arrow by what I believe to be a locating screw in the lower shroud, and then two more bolts mount the coil via some standoffs in the lower cowl, is this right?

Thanks for any help. I should have taken some pictures when I took it apart. My motor manual pictures are so grainy you can't see what's going on.

Attachments

• 101_1263.jpg
    101_1263.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 101_1270.jpg
    101_1270.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 63
  • 101_1267.jpg
    101_1267.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 64
Well I got it figured out, everything was bolted in the right place, but since I had the motor laying on its side on my bench, the lower cowl was tilted causing the bind, duh! Anyway, what is the thread size and type that the lifting tool screws into the flywheel? I know you can buy one for 40$ but I don't want to wait 4 days to get it, I could make my own if I knew the thread.

Back