Logo

Outdrive Question

island_boy

Contributing Member
I installed my electric shift outdrive on my inline six. I submerged the outdrive in a 600 gallon horse trough. The pickup for the water pump was submerged. I started the engine and at first no water/exhaust came out of the hole located at the upper housing. I revved the engine and water started to come out with exhaust. I noticed that at the swivel area of upper gearcase and lower unit water was gushing out and water was dribbling out the weep hole on the lower unit. My wife told me she saw steam coming from this area and I shut it off. I restarted it for a few minutes and no water came out from any of the areas described. I noticed the housing area of the waterpump was hot. This is the first time I used this outdrive after being stored for 2+ years after it was supposibly been rebuilt. Is it possible the time it sat could have caused the water pump to fail? The engine temp was normal after I first started it and ran it for about 15 minutes and then disaster, engine got hot for a minimal amount of time and I shut it down. Any thoughts?

And water should be peeing on the ball gears.

So the water pump might not have been sealed correctly.

Or the end caps you say are leaking so bad that water is not going up to the motor and peeing on the gears.

You shoot the hole in the front that has the zerk with grease ?

Back