Logo

1987 9.9 hp yamaha not pee-ing

Chawilk

Hi,

My 1st post here. I have an 87 Yam 9.9/15hp outboard in excellent shape. It stopped pee-ing the other day. I assumed the impeller, pulled the lower unit off, inspected the impeller. It's fine. I ran a hose at light pressure to the water pipe inside the lower unit. I removed the top cover and pulled the plastic pipe that goes from the engine water outlet to the bronze nipple on the base of the inner case unit behind the power head. Water peed nicely out of the engine outlet pipe fitting. But when I attach the plastic hose to the bronze fitting at the back/base of the top inside, and blow - the hole is plugged. No air (& therefore no water) will go through.

Can't find anything in the manual on this. Any ideas? Thanks a ton.

If i understand what you are saying,is when you put the plastic hose on and it dont pee or cant blow air through it then it sounds like the plastic hose is pluged up.Either unplug hose or replace it.

Maybe I didn't explain it well. Obviously a plugged plastic pipe would be pretty easy to diagnose. What isn't clear & isn't in the manual is exactly what happens to the water expelled from the fitting on the right side of the power unit after it dissapears into the bronze fitting at the rear of the case floor. That's the fitting that no air or water will pass through. The fitting is pressed on, otherwise I'd unscrew it & see how it works & what it connects to. Where does the water go once it's expelled from the power head?

Thanks.

Back