Logo

!!

kmad516

I am new to this site and I was hoping someone could possibly help me out. I have a Mako 252 with twin 1998 Mercury 150's. One of my motors was running hot at idle speed and the water flow was weak. W0hen I tilted the motor up I realized that water was coming out of the cowling. I took the cover off and on the left side of the motor toward the bottom, water was coming out of a small hole toward the bottom of the block as well as out the normal hole. Any idea what this could be? Also on the other motor, the rpm guage is working on and off as if it loses power. Sometimes when I turn it off and restart it it will work fine. ANyone with some input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you are talking about the left side of the motor as you are looking at it from the prospective of being inside the boat, that sounds like the poppet cover (pressure relief valve is located under there and controls the flow of cooling water). If that's what's leaking, get a poppet kit, plus a new cover and gasket.

The tach issue with the second motor could be anything from 1) a faulty tach, 2) bad wire in the harness from the motor to the dash, 3) bad power wire from the keyswitch to the tach, 4) voltage regulator on the way out (and maybe a couple things I can't think of at the moment).

Since this is a twin set-up you should have two tach's. You could swap the signal wire between the two. If the problem clears up you know the voltage regulator is ok. At that point you get out the multi-meter and check for continuity on the harness wires and wires under the dash feeding the tach that's acting up.

No matter what you do, before you go near the motor or the dash with a screwdriver, drop 35 bucks on a Seloc's manual for your motors...

Thanks you very much for the response. Guess I will take care of the colling problem then the tach. Thanks again for your help!

Back