Logo

05 150 Yamaha electrical issues

onsiteservice

Customer was running the tilt down on the engine when everything quit. Engine will not crank, gauges still work with the key. My thought was the tilt/trim motor went out. Checked voltage at battery, 12.5, voltage at starter is only 4.5. Remove 20 amp fuse marked ignition/tilt trim and I get 12.5 volts at the starter. Removed all wiring to the tilt trim switches and disconnected tilt trim motor. When you plug fuse back in still losing voltage down to 4.5. Hooked all wiring back up to tilt trim, unplugged engine main harness from the key switch I gain voltage back to 12.5. I'm trying to track down a wiring harness diagram for this thing. On the key switch there is a brown wire that goes to the nuetral safety switch. That brown wire has 8 volts on it with key on, when you turn key to start position it goes to 12.5. I can't believe that there is a direct short on a circuit protected by a 20 amp fuse losing 8 volts and no smoke or blown fuses. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Clean the battery post. Sounds like the main power cable to the starter is not getting good contact at the battery terminal. If you have shorts any where else after that it should blow the fuse. GL

Back