Logo

Merc 25 with no fire, Multimeter results, bad switch box?

Hello,

First off thank you for reading this thread. the forum has already helped so much.

My motor has no fire getting to the coils

It is a manual start 1992

Ran test on the stator and trigger and the results are as follows (im not sure if i had all the settings just right on my meter, electric guy i am not, so its safe to assume the decimal points could be off... The numbers seem to line up with my book tho... )

Stator

Black white to ground 142

Black yellow to ground 3.17
Black yellow to black white 3.05

Trigger

Brown yellow to brown .80 (20k setting on meter)

Would this mean that it has to be the switch box, assuming the kill switches are good (i disconnected the kill plug from the switch box and pulled the cord and it still had no spark at either plug)

If the switchbox is bad and i replace it will it be compatible with putting electric start on the motor? I do not have the recharging stator (the red one).

I do have a junk 99 that all the electronics work on tho and was going to rob the electric start components of it to convert mine.

Thank you

Update.

I know that the newer switchboxes with the green stator wires are not made to function with the pre 94 motors due to the spark advance (i think this is right.)

That being said i have a newer motor with what i know is a working box. So i put the newer box on my none firing 1992, it fired off one coil and did not fire off the other. I expected this from the start so i swapped the coil leads and it reversed the fire to the other plug. Basically both coils work and the stator and trigger work so i guess that leaves no other culprit than the switchbox.

Sound Correct?

Well atleast i know, Thats actually a relief in my eyes...

So which aftermarket brand would you reccomend? CDI, Sierra, Mallory? I know this is prolly heavily opinionatied but basically will they all do the job just fine lol

Back