Logo

2004 V Max 225 EFI, low voltage to VST

Dave Joyner

Hey guys, I have been fighting this problem since I put the boat in the water this spring. Engine will not idle, sneezes then dies. Above 1100rpm runs perfect. Have Seloc manual,went through the entire Testing,TS and clean all filters/screens, clean O2 sensor, adjust TPS, replaced spark plugs, performed the annual maintenance that previous owner had neglected, no contamination anywhere. Also purchased winky blinky tool, code 1: system OK.

Key on engine not running, 10.5.vdc at vst pump, 35psi output. Start engine and run at idle: 6.2vdc at vst pump 20psi output(engine runs lean and will die). Rev engine in neutral to 1100-1200rpm,voltage at vst rises to10.75vdc pressure up to 35psi runs perfect. I tested the fuel pump resistor and was slightly out of range: 0.7 ohm. Bought new resistor tests the same 0.7 ohm, thought maybe would not carry the load and changed anyway, no improvement. Connected multiple DVOM's to monitor charging system voltage, VST supplied voltage, vst pressure. It appears that the ECM/CDI switches a PWM signal on the ground circuit reducing the voltage to the vst at idle - 1100rpm and switches instantly, not gradually to the higher voltage any speed above. If i place a jumper and eliminate the fuel pump resitor, the voltage maintains 10 + vdc and eliminates the problem. Runs perfect. Is the resistor just to compensate for higher stator voltage when running? The charging system is working right and takes system up 13.9 - 14.2vdc

I could use some help with the explanation of this, the manual does not make a reference to switching to lowered voltage and vst pressure at idle and it obviously leans ot the fuel sytem.

Thanks, Dave J.

Back