Logo

25 mercury kill switch grounding.

!992 25 merc. Pull start only

What is the proper set up for the kill switch(es) wiring. I know that the bullet connector from the kill switch wires to the coordinating wire on the switchbox. My question is what is the proper wiring for the two grounds that are on the kill switch harness. I assume that they are just both screwed to the block in one of the threaded holes. Am i wrong on this?

I currently have the both grounded to the same bolt (the one mounting area where the rectifier would be on an electric start motor). Should they be grounded seperately, somewhere else, or do i need to do something else all together?

My motor quit firing so i took it to a mechanic and after the run around i just picked it up and all the electronics where in a box so i want to make sure i put it back together right so i can check to make sure the kill switches are working first.

Thank you

They can both ground at the same point, no problem.

The power from the stator that is connected at the switch box takes three separate paths to try and get to ground.

1) through the coils to the sparkplugs

2) through the cowl mounted kill switch and,

3) through the pressure operated switch in the tiller handle end.

The ignition really doesn't care "how" it gets to ground but will always take the easiest path. Having to jump the gap on a sparkplug is "the hard way" - so if either kill switch is "closed", it will take that route.

The kill switches can be grounded to any (convenient) point on the powerhead - and both of them on the same stud is fine...

Back