Logo

Delco EST distributor retrofit

cj7ole

Hi folks, this is my first post so be gentle...

I have a 1989 Mercruiser Comp Ski 5.7 with a Qjet carb and original points ignition with 700 hours, I am the original owner. Well, based on (what I found out later was) the bad advice of a mechanic who claimed my distributor wasn't advancing properly, I replaced it with a Delco EST distributor kit:

http://marineenginedepot.com/MP/Mar...tributor-Kit-5.7L-350ci-GM-Delco-Voyager-EST/

It is claimed that it is a straight retrofit for a points style ignition, and being made by GM, I presumed it would be a good replacement, and will get rid of the points to boot. Installation was straightforward as was setting the initial timing with the special harness provided.

My kit only came with a wiring diagram, no instructions, so this is what I found to help me with the install and initial timing: Oh, being a straight IB, I don't have to worry about the shift interrupt switch wiring found on the outdrives.

http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page229.html

I had to back off on the idle stop screw on the carb to get the idle rpm back to normal (600 rpm in gear). The distro wants to jump from 8* btdc to 18* at about 700 rpm, and then maxes out at about 21* at 3500 rpm. With the timing light, you can see it jump 8 to 18 , back and forth, at about 700 rpm. That doesn't seem right. Could I have a bad module in the distributor, or is that normal?

I called in the mechanic after I lost 800 rpm at WOT as a result of blowing a head gasket on overheat and having a full valve job done, with my labor to remove and install the heads. He tweaked the valves lash and than said my distributor was only advancing 24* and that was the reason for the lost rpm. Turns out that 24* is the correct total advance. I have since replaced the fuel filter with no change, so I am now thinking a carb issue.

Help.

To bring closure to this minuscule thread, it turned out that when I originally reinstalled the distributor after having the heads redone, I crossed 2 of the plug wires. And when I installed the EST distributor and new wires, I just replaced them one by one, continuing my screw up. It was odd that it ran smooth, a rough idle and I would have checked the wires for sure. A second mechanic found it right away and now it is back to full power. Thinking back, it did seem to only have the power of a six. I am only posting this in case someone else has a similar problem. Oh, and with the EST retrofit, I still get a jump in idle rpm as the timing jumps 10 degrees as I advance the throttle beyond dead idle. I am of the mind that the EST is really set up to be controlled by a module of some sort.

Back