Logo

Gel Coat Oxidation

bill_w

Advanced Contributor
What is the best way to remove heavy oxidation/chalkiness from f/g boats? I recently picked up two older f/g runabouts, a 1965 and a 1983. The 65 isn't too bad, and its sort of a neutral salmon colour, but the 83 is very heavily faded, and is (was) a bright red. The colour between where it was covered, and where it was exposed is VERY different. I've tried 3M f/g restore and wax, but its just not doing the job. Should I go to an automotive rubbing compound first, then the 3M? I'm worried about rubbing thru the gel coat. I'm using a 6" random orbit polisher. Also, what kind of a pad should I be using for buffing, then polishing?

One more question...what is the best kind of wax to use if I can get the colour back? I'd kinda like to not have to wax it every other weekend.

thanks in advance
Bill

I would use a green pad and comet cleanser and scrub the hell out of it. Move to a rubbing compound then a polishing compound ......... finally a coat of wax.

OR

You can wet sand with 1000 moving to 2000 followed by polishing compound....... then wax

OR you can cheat and be cheap ;) Go get a tub of Vaseline and rub it into the finish then buff off with a rag...... go ahead and try a spot on the transom. It will look great but not last more than the season.

Friend of mine did that with his boat..except he used 10w-30 motor oil. Lasted about 2 weeks, before the sun burnt it off, and he'd redo it. Looked pretty, smelt not so pretty. I got some 3M rubbing compund today. I'll try that tomorrow, and let you know.

try a product called buff magic. i used it on my boat that was heavily oxidized and it works just as it claims with not much effort. works better than any 3m product.

Back