Logo

DT55 no spark

trident15

I have a 1987 DT55 Suzuki outboard that will not start. There is no spark. It turns over and over but will not start. I have no trailer to take it for repair so must try to figure it out myself. Any ideas.

What is the " history " on this motor ??----------Owned it for a long time / quit while running / no start first time out this year ??

had it for 3 years. Has always ran fine, this year turned the key nothing. checked the spark there is none it just keeps turning over but of course will not fire.

have you actually had the plugs out,reconnected them to the ignition leads,then grounded the earths,while winding the engine over?sometimes checking for spark can be hard in bright sunshine.

we have ground them, plus my father is of the old school, where you just hold on to them until you get a jolt. He tried his way and there was no spark that way either.
We are going to try to check the key switch and safety cut off switch, but it's such a mass of wires, we are a bit lost.

1987 DT55 Suzuki outboard that will not start. Can anyone tell me how to replace the kill switch or go around it to see if that is actually what is wrong before I buy the replacement. All I see is wires going into the switch, but have no idea what ones to touch to check it.​

Back