Logo

Outdrive Installation

island_boy

Contributing Member
I am ready to install my OMC outdrive to the intermediate housing. The trunion cap shims have a split in them. Should the split face the transom or the outdrive? I have not run the engine with the outdrive yet. The engine runs great, cools as it should and starts right up. I know you should never start a drive out of water, so I have a horse trough that I can submerge my out drive in when I start the engine to test for cooling and water pump operation. Does this sound like a good way to test the outdrive? I do not have a hose hookup fixture that will work on my out drive. What type of grease should I put on the outdrive trunion caps? Almost ready for the big splash. Thanks.......Island boy

Last edited:
shims face the drive.

Most any grease will do, there is a hole on the front of the drive above the anti-cavitation plate that has a zerk in it make sure you give that one at least 5 good squeezes

splits are supposed to be rearward, but I can't imagine it really matters too much.

good luck with the "splash"

Take the prop off before you put it in the tank. I know that sounds obvious, but I just want to be sure.

I wondered about the splits also.

I think if they move then the split will move straight up so the split never wears the bottom cap. The bottom takes the weight.

O2 is right take off the stikin prop.

Back