Logo

1979 OMC Stringer 305 HydroShift Won't go into Reverse -- Diagnosis/Options?

graftyman

A bit of an intro: Been in boating since I was a kid, I don't listen to my mechanic friends that tell me never to get an OMC unit. I've had King Cobra's before. Now I find myself with a 79 Grady White Gulfstream which was a childhood dream boat.

Bought the boat and went through it: Changed fluids in outdrive(Evinrude/Johnson Gear ol), oil ... etc. On land it shifted into Reverse and Forward.
Then I went into the water. I put it in reverse and started going back at not much more then idle speed. After about 60 feet I heard the gears start spinning. I put it in Neutral. Tried to shift back into Reverse and got a grinding sound. Back to neutral and then tried to go into Forward.

Boat engaged perfectly into forward. I go to the dock and tie up. Reverse just won't engage. I took off the Remote shift cable to see if It could be an adjustment issues. When moving the shift converter back towards reverse it looks to go only about half way towards the wear marks on the converter. It seems to bind up about half way.

More info: I have a receipt from the previous owner that replaced the lower gears and clutch dog. Engine is a 305 that was replace in 05 and runs perfect.

So the first question is do these symptons suggest that something specific is wrong with it?

I've been researching the possibility of converting it to the manual only lower. What I can't find is a list of the actual parts I need to get if I go that route. I know I need the following:

1. Manual Shift Lower
2. Manual Shift Shift Cable
3. Manual Shift Shift Converter with ESA

What else would I need? How does one put in the ESA(Neutral interlock) on an engine that didn't have one before. I know it need to interupt the coil, but I can't find a diagram on how it gets wired in.

Also: Anyone know a Stringer guru in Southern New England (near Boston)? where is the preferred place to obtain the parts I would need to fix whatever is wrong with it or go through the lower replacement?

Welcome aboard !

nope you need the upper also manual shift.

And you need the right gears set for the motor.

Then " i think " the ball gear shaft is a different size the one thru the transom. I also think the splines on the shaft are different.

What manual you using ?

You will have a pm in a minute.

You need ebay.

You have Doug russel near you but everything is expensive with him.

You can wire it like a merc The shift converter on ebay right now, will come with 2 micro switchs the over stroke you won't need.

The esa micro you wire to the neg side of the coil and the other to a ground and your done. That way you cut out the esa module.

Last edited:
I have both the Seloc and the Clymers Manual.

I was under the impression from all my research that the uppers and intermediates were all the same and it was just a lower, cable and shift converter change. I guess that was wrong.

I'm waiting to find out what a local mechanic has to say before I decide what I need to do.

in the seloc if you hace # 3400 on the right hand corner you will see the parts diagram for a manual shift and hydro-mechanical shift.

The the upper has the plunger . Thats why no esa. Is also the reason you can't shift the drive unless it's running.

i will try to reference 2 diagrams off this site to better explain.

Ok page 10-48 Seloc manual # 3400 upper right hand corner.

See the diagram.

Anymore question please ask.

You really need a new complete drive, cable cause the lower cable is different also i knew i forgot something.

Getting old is really a byatch.

In my humble opinion the cheapest way is a donor boat with a bad motor and the drive you need with everything but the motor in the boat.

Me i would pull your motor out it has to come out anyway if you want to install the new drive, and install everything back from the motor after removing everything back of the motor.

Including the intermediate. With everything open i would do a reaseal on the whole shebang all 3 drives and the tilt housing.

Then you should be good to go for at least 5 years drive wise.

Need to ask more questions please feel free to i love this chit and this drive.

only on the omc forum not the merc forum.

But thanks for asking.

I'm also at the boc forum, and boat fix.

Here i feel loved.

Here i can give advice on the drive i truly love.

But i know merc also.

Back