Logo

C115 2 Stroke will not start after trailering boat for 45 minutes

eseltzer

I have a 1995 C115 Yamaha two stroke motor. It will start fine in my driveway where the motor has been sitting in the vertical position. I use the starting method in the manual (lift the lever to advance the timing, hold electronic choke, and crank the motor) and it starts up just fine.

When I trailer the boat I lift the motor and engage the stops so it is in a more horizontal position, not fully horizontal just not vertical. My ride is about 45 minutes. When I go to start the motor, after priming the bulb, it seems like it's flooded. It will not start without spraying some starting fluid. After it has been started it will start the remainder of the day. I can anchor and hang out for 2 -3 hours and the motor will re-start just fine. It seems like it does not like being in the "transport" position. Any thoughts? Motor idles and runs fine once started.

Ethan

Ok!Dont use starting fluid,such as either,or any can that says starting fluid not good for engine!!First check your spark,on yamaha I dont know how far spark should jump,ask dealer,Do compression check, If it starts when using some sort of aid to start it,then it is not flooding,but not getting enough gas to start it.If you have primer bulb,Does it get pressure and hold pressure when you pump it?If not then replace bulb.Let me know how it goes.Their are alot of good people on this site,Hopfully somone else will put there input in also!!

Last edited:
If it starts ok with starting fluid then runs ok the rest of the day, its pointing to a choke problem.
Remove your airbox cover and turn your ignition on, then press your key in to choke.
The choke butterflys should close completely... There are 2 bolts holding the choke solenoid, you can back these off a little and move that solenoid up a little to get the shutters to close properly... If it is too high, the solenoid wont pull the shutters closed at all...

Ok!Dont use starting fluid,such as either,or any can that says starting fluid not good for engine!!First check your spark,on yamaha I dont know how far spark should jump,ask dealer,Do compression check, If it starts when using some sort of aid to start it,then it is not flooding,but not getting enough gas to start it.If you have primer bulb,Does it get pressure and hold pressure when you pump it?If not then replace bulb.Let me know how it goes.Their are alot of good people on this site,Hopfully somone else will put there input in also!!

Compression check was done late last year and checked out OK.
Primer bulb gets pressure and holds it.

Thanks for you reply!

If it starts ok with starting fluid then runs ok the rest of the day, its pointing to a choke problem.
Remove your airbox cover and turn your ignition on, then press your key in to choke.
The choke butterflys should close completely... There are 2 bolts holding the choke solenoid, you can back these off a little and move that solenoid up a little to get the shutters to close properly... If it is too high, the solenoid wont pull the shutters closed at all...

The butterfly's do close completely when the choke is engaged.

When I start this up in my driveway after the motor has been sitting vertical all week it seems to start fine, I do not need to use any starting fluid. It only seems to be impacted after I trailer it and the motor is in the semi-horizontal position.

What is the recommended transport method:

Should I remove the gas line from the motor before transport?
Should I let the motor run out of gas before I put it back on the trailer?

Thanks so much for your input.

Back