Logo

Not getting fuel when starting engine

cweveritt

Yamaha F25ELRY engine is not getting fuel for starting. If I give it a squirt of engine starter it starts right up. May require a couple more squirts until it runs on its own and then all is well. If it isn't left off too long it will continue to start up on demand. Have replaced fuel filter, external fuel line & bulb, gas tank without solving problem. No signs of leaking fuel inside or out. Internal hoses appear in good shape, not cracked. When I pump the fuel bulb gas gets to the carb. I have checked this by removing the hose between the fuel pump? and the carb. Please help. We are camped on St. Joe Bay in Fla and my wife is anxious to go fishing! Thanks!!!

There is no manual choke on this engine. We have had this engine for ~10 yrs and it has always cranked easily. Once I crank it using engine starter it runs great as always. Smooth as butter from idlying to full speed.

Thanks, I gave up and took it in to the shop. I'll try to post the results. Pretty sure it is the carb. Wish I had thought about working the throttle a little more but I did twist it a couple of times that I remember. Now I think I will paddle out in my kayak and snorkel for scallops.

For anyone else who comes here with this problem: I carried the boat and motor to the shop today and the results were as follows: The starter is drawing down the power causing two problems. 1. The electric choke doesn't get enough power for two short a time to do any good. 2. The starter doesn't crank the engine long enough. So vinh & Mike41 both of you were right on top of this one (especially vinh who told me to pull the choke). I believe the mechanic and I don't have the mechanical experience to have gotten this one in a month.

Back