Logo

removing 3.0 l omc engine

glenn_1

hi i am about to remove my 3.0 l engine from my 1977 boat with a stringer drive. i have the carb, manifold & riser, starter, alternator, thermostat housing, coil, and fuel pump removed. i have the bolts loosened in the front mount and all the bolts in the bell housing removed except for 1. is there anything else that needs to be let go before i lift it out. are there bolts in the flywheel?? or coupler?? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Welcome aboard !

You have the drive off and the shaft removed from the coupler?

Me i leave the bell housing in place and just remove the motor leaving the bell housing in place. Just as you have.

You have the flywheel cover off. All the cables removed, the wires off the motor so it can come up free?

i used a strap around the front crank and one around the riser joined at the hook on the hoist.

You removed the riser and mani and carb all in one piece huh ?

If you didn't remove the drive you will have to lift a bit with the drive blocked so it doesn't move. And move the motor forward 6 " or so to get the driveshaft out of the coupler then straight up.

There is nothing on the flywheel or coupler to stop the motor from pulling away from the bell housing.

keep us posted i did the exactsame thing with my 2.5 and 3.0 motor at least 6 times, but that is for another post.

i removed the carb, manifold and riser all separately rather than one piece. should i have left the manifold on to lift the motor? since the motor is much lighter, i was going to use a motor lifting bracket. there is one hole on the top of the head, near the front that i am thinking is for this bracket. is this ok to lift it out this way or should i connect a strap as you did? i have not blocked the drive but i will do that today. please let me know and thanks for the advise.
Glenn

thanks guys, i have the motor out and found that the cylinder walls are rusted out and a couple of pin holes in # 2 cylinder. i have decided to get rid of everything and go a little bigger and newer. you you have any suggestions on a good combination of engine and stern drive? the boat was underpowered with the 3.0 l anyway. it seems that the mercruiser drive is common and easy to get parts for. i know that i have to fix my transom, change the steering, shift controls, etc.. but i am thinking that this would be a great winter project. i trust your experience and would appreciate any suggestions that would help me decide on what would be a good system in my boat

thank you again
Glenn

i know that nothing lines up. mine has the large hole in the tramsom with the boot. the merc and newer drives are smaller so i will have to fill in the hole and reinforce the stern. i like this boat, the hull and interior are great. it is easy to load and off load and it has the most usable space that i have ever seen in a 23.5 foot boat. i dont mind spending the time and a little money if i end up with a good boat. if you were in my shoes, what engine and drive would you be looking for. the 3.0 l is a little underpowered. any suggestions would be great.

thanks
Glenn

you need a donor boat with a good drive and motor, then it's affordable other wise it is just not worth it.

If you went with a 4.3 merc setup u need everything off the old boat with the transom to cut and glue into your hole.

Really just not worth it unless u get another 3.0 and use your mani and riser. A motor up to 87' 88 they changed out the crank and such won't work.

Ok i re-read your last post.

If i were you and am good with tools and you will need to be good.

Donor boat with a 5.0 or a 5.7 merc setup. Say one with a accident or that the motor and drive are still good.

You will need to pull the drive and motor of your boat.

Then you need to cutout the donor transom to fit your hole but a little bigger.

You will have to make sure of the stringers in your boat match up to the mounts of the new motor.

You will need to install the inner transom plate off the donor, the gimbel on the transom.

You will have to install the motor and then align the gimbel bearing with the coupler a 50 dollar tool off ebay to your door.

Then you got to hang the drive.

Then you need the cables off your donor and the wheel.

The throttle off the donor.

Money wise i don't know here by in jersy they have a bunch of accident boats.

Last edited:
Back