Logo

'68 sea ray-'78 chevy 305 horsepower question

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
hey gents.. this engine has been rated at 185 hp , the original buick was rated at 200 hp . it seems to me that the chevy was under rated . its fitted with a 2bbl carb the question is does the chevy 305 really only put out 185 hp? thanx in advance....dimitri

ok thanx chief now let me ask this...if they rate it at the prop , and my leg is original.. would that make it 200 hp? thanx in advance..dimitri

you know has to do with compression, valves. then you got the carb, 2 barrel vs 4 barrel.

you want the full list ?

Whatever motor you got and it has a 2 barrel throw on a 4 and you get 20-35 maybe 40 more ponies to burn up gas with when the secondary's open.

i got a puny 4 cylinder 140 hp. 19' boat. i burn tops 10 gallons for 5 hours or more on the water i'm a contented man.

HP ratings were at the crankshaft until 1985/1986, then the industry switched to propshaft ratings.

I wouldn't sweat the numbers -it runs how it runs... might even make for cheaper insurance. could even tell them it's 165hp at the propshaft

I agree chevy v6 and v8's love a quadrajet

but more power = more gas... don't buy into that "the primaries are smaller, so you'll use less at cruise" stuff.... I don't think that really works in a boat the way it does in a car.... if it ever did in a car.

all HP comes from the fuel

Last edited:
thanx guys , i guess it really doesnt matter to me , im not racing im just going fishing...sometimes i overthink things a little...dimitri

Back