Logo

89 omc 2.3 wont run good after changed from points to electronic ignition

Did you remove the ballast resistor? Is your ignition coil internally resisted? Full 12 volts are needed with electronic ignition. The resistor needs to be removed.

thank you all so much i bypassed that wire and she fired right up now i just have to re-time it we'll see keep your fingers crossed!

thank you all so much i bypassed that wire and she fired right up now i just have to re-time it we'll see keep your fingers crossed!
Real good chance you will burn out you ESA now it needs the resistor and also the Pertronix diode fix if original ESA. The new CDI ones don't require it. Pertronix wiring instructions with a resistor wire say to splice in the red ignitor wire to the resistor wire before the resistor splice to give it 12V

Real good chance you will burn out you ESA now it needs the resistor and also the Pertronix diode fix if original ESA. The new CDI ones don't require it. Pertronix wiring instructions with a resistor wire say to splice in the red ignitor wire to the resistor wire before the resistor splice to give it 12V

Just "why " people want to change these things, is beYOND me.

People like set it and forget it. There aren't to many of us left out there who actually know how to set dwell and properly diagnose points ignition problems. That's why it's not a bad decision to upgrade for boat owners.

I don't know how many owners have had a carb rebuild or replaced at some local Marinas and it was just a bad condenser.

Back