Logo

charging

shawnfish

Regular Contributor
is it ok tor run seperate battery cables to a panel on my deck to charge them so i dont have to access the batteries themselves? (seperate from what they are running)? thanks...

Yes, as long as the positive lead is fused close to the battery and the terminals are insulated / covered to prevent accidental shorting.

can somebody please explain the advantage of a on board charger? ive been thinking about buying one for years but i just dont understand why everybody uses them....thanks.

can somebody please explain the advantage of a on board charger? ive been thinking about buying one for years but i just dont understand why everybody uses them....thanks.

On board / perminently installed charger is soooooooo much more convenient than needing to drag out the charger, connecting leads, yada, yada, yada. Just plug her in and you are done. Charged / fresh batteries just last longer and are more reliable. If you don't use the boat on regular basis, the chargers keep the batteries fresh with a trickle / pulse charge and the new generation chargers have micro-processors built in to check battery internal conditions and alter the charge accordingly. I installed one on my boat, a dual circuit one that has a circuit for each battery, since I don't go out on her as often as I would like. Just be sure it is marine rated to withstand the enviroment and for safety, are built to be igniton safe. Made life much simpler.

Been using them for years on the motorcycle and tractor batteries and the battery life on those have exceeded what I would have normally expected to see.

Last edited:
On board / perminently installed charger is soooooooo much more convenient than needing to drag out the charger, connecting leads, yada, yada, yada. Just plug her in and you are done. Charged / fresh batteries just last longer and are more reliable. If you don't use the boat on regular basis, the chargers keep the batteries fresh with a trickle / pulse charge and the new generation chargers have micro-processors built in to check battery internal conditions and alter the charge accordingly. I installed one on my boat, a dual circuit one that has a circuit for each battery, since I don't go out on her as often as I would like. Just be sure it is marine rated to withstand the enviroment and for safety, are built to be igniton safe. Made life much simpler.

Been using them for years on the motorcycle and tractor batteries and the battery life on those have exceeded what I would have normally expected to see.

guess im not sold, i made two charging posts back by my motor. i back my boat in the garage right up to my workbench connect charging clips and hit a switch to turn on charger(smart charger)and done...really all the onboard charger is, a permanently mounted charger on boat, mine is permanently sitting on workbench right where i need it to be......

guess im not sold, i made two charging posts back by my motor. i back my boat in the garage right up to my workbench connect charging clips and hit a switch to turn on charger(smart charger)and done...really all the onboard charger is, a permanently mounted charger on boat, mine is permanently sitting on workbench right where i need it to be......

What ever works best for you is the way to go.....

Shawn:

On-board, permanently mounted chargers are pretty standard for boats that are moored in slips with electricity available. Once the shore power is plugged in, the charger keeps the batteries topped-off. When I had a trailerable boat, I had a rig that allowed me to tie the boat battery into the car's changing system with an isolator. Charged the boat battery as we headed to the ramp. Also tapped into that wiring for a charger in the garage, just as you have. I ran the wires from the boat battery to a female receptacle with a cover, mounted near the outboard and used male plugs for the wiring from the charger and car system. Just make sure that the wiring is sufficient for the load from the charger.

Gene

The male and female plugs you can buy for electric trolling motors have a sufficient amp rating and work conveniently for that purpose.

Back