Logo

Older Yamaha props - fit F150?

spiked

I picked up what's supposed to be a 6G5-45978-02-98 SS Yamaha prop, for my '06 F150. I was told it would fit the motor, and was just an earlier version of the current 6G5-45978-03-98 prop.

I tried to put it on today, and the flange in the front of the propeller appears to be different than that of the SOLAS aluminum prop that came with the boat. The new prop does not have a beveled flange like the SOLAS prop.

Here's a photo, with the new one on the right (obviously!):

http://www.bearinlet.com/fns/EB/IMG_6889.JPG

The new one clearly isn't right as is, as when placed on the shaft it rubs against the housing in front of it.

Should this prop work on an '06 F150?

Is it missing some accessory flange to go between it and the beveled front face of the shaft?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Looking at the F150 service manual, it appears there is a spacer available which goes between the prop and the front of the shaft, which mates with the beveled flange on the shaft. I'll check with a local dealer and see if I can buy one for the new prop.

Inspecting the old SOLAS prop, it looks like this spacer is integral with the prop - or should I be able to remove it and place it on the new prop? For those of you with multiple props on this motor, do you have a separate spacer for each, or is it commonly pulled off and placed with the new prop when you swap them?

Thanks for the help - I'm not familiar with this style of prop!

Yep, I picked up the inner spacer from my local Yami dealer ($50!), and now it all fits fine. So you can indeed use these model older Yami props on the newer motors...

I hope the prop works well on your application. Just be sure you can turn 6000 rpm at w.o.t. or your motor may not live a long and productive life. By the way the part you just purchased is stuck to the front of your Solas prop. It is a common occurrence and many people don't figure it out until they ruin the gearcase with the prop grinding away alot of metal.

Last edited:
Yes, top rpm is now 6000 on my F150, as I hoped it would be, with the new SS 13 3/4x17 Yami prop. ~43 mph top speed, 1000 lb load, 30 gals gas. Hole shot considerably improved. The old prop maxed out about 5400 (a 15x17 IIRC, Solas 3 blade alum). Cruising RPM's went up a bit at any given speed, but my Lowrance says gas mileage appears to have improved about 5-10%, so it seems to be running a bit 'freer'. Very happy with this config.

Back