Logo

no spark

I have a 9.9 97 yamaha T9.9ELRV remote with no spark. The tether switch is good and the neutral switch is good. What else can I check?
Thanks, Pipemaster17

Go at this from the cheapest part first. Get the coil tested first, but I'm betting on a stator problem. Do you have a book?

Don't trust that dumb switch. I was working on a friend of mine's boat. He got an older Johnson engine with no sparks. I checked the switch and it was good. It opens and closes as tested with the meter but we have no sparks. When I disconnected the ground wire that goes to the switch we had sparks. If you have no sparks to all the coils then its most likely the switch and the sensor in the stator. Double check the switch by disconnect the ground wire to it. GL

If I were to bypass the tether and the ignition key, is it done by disconnecting the wires and leaving them apart, or touching the wires together. Also, where is the ground that I would try disconnecting to see if that is it. Thanks'
Pipemaster17

The white wire is not supposed to be grounded. Disconnect the white wire at the control that goes to the harness like PBRMAN said. If you still don't have spark then the problem is the power pack. Check to see you have pulses going to the power pack while cranking. If you do then the stator is good and definitely the power pack is dead. Good luck.

Back