Logo

Default Oil Milky in OMC 3 Liter + Over flow from oil cap --Pls Help

idesign

guys i have OMC 3 liter.I was driving in lake yesterday and noticed loss in performance.It looked like engine was stall anytime.I opened the engine cover and noticed milky oil overflowed from oil cap on top on engine.That is where i think the oil overflowed and spilled on engine.
The oil is very milky.Looks like water mixed with oil.
Last year it was running fine.The only thing i did this year is i changed the thermostat housing.The original one had broken bolt peice.The new 1 i put was old and rusty inside.I did wd-40 it from inside.can this be problem.is it something else.how did water mix with oil.is there any gasket that is gone.what is the first step i need to get started to check for problem.i live in rural area and mechanic is few hour drive from me.so pls help me.
Please let me know.Thank you

note : i ran this motor lots of time this year before problem came this Sat.never had problem before

maybe a internal crack in the head. Do a pressure test.
do u mean compression test.sorry i am newbie. i did compression test before.but pressure test i am not sure.i have compression test kit.is it same kit used or i have to get new kit.let me know.thx

Cracked block. Pressure test of the block will confirm this. Engine is a write off. you need a new one. Sorry.

there is 1 thing i want to mention.the temp gauge was showing almost low.i think it stopped working.
i know it used to work before.it used to be at about 25-40% when i was running in normal speed.is there any cause the temp gauge stopped working.let me know.thx

remove the water cooling line to your manifold.
clamp a bolt or dowel or ratchet handle etc in that hose to plug it off.

remove water supply line where it enters thermostat housing (water supply hose from the outdrive impeller).
regulate about 5 psi air pressure into the thermostat housing - listen for leaks

this is a V8, but you'll get the idea from the pic
air in at green arrow - block off at red x's
searay.jpg

Here is the pic of my inboard.Pls check and let me know which # pipe is water supply line.#1,2,3 is the pipe i pored i antifreeze when i winterized it.
i will try to see if i can get my motor pressure test.
is it possible i can do pressure test home.where can i get kit from.let me know.thx

omc.jpg

Guys.I got the motor working now.So no need to worry about previous issue.
There is sound coming from pulley under thermostat housing.When i pour wd40 while it is moving it stops for while.can some1 tell me what could be the problem.is there any bearing that needs to be changed.i noticed my engine is vibrating too much now.
also my temp gauge stopped working.what could be the problem.let me know.thank you
i am attaching pic marking with red circle to show where the sound is coming from.

omc1.jpg

thats your engine mounted circulating pump around 65 dollars and no it has to replaces no way to get to the bearings.

Your #2 in the picture hose isn't that the hose that runs to the transom the raw water incoming hose.

The reason i ask it is touted in a strange way it should run down the starboard side of the motor right next to the valve cover.

What year is this ?

Last edited:
thats your engine mounted circulating pump around 65 dollars and no it has to replaces no way to get to the bearings.

Your #2 in the picture hose isn't that the hose that runs to the transom the raw water incoming hose.

The reason i ask it is touted in a strange way it should run down the starboard side of the motor right next to the valve cover.

What year is this ?
#2 is the intake hose.i originally had 1986 engine but replaced with 1978 when my original had cracked block.is there any temp gauge inside the thermostat housing.let me know.thx

Back