Logo

16V92 Fuel rack setting

fvsaopedro

We have a 16V92NA in our ex Gulf style tuna boat. We have just had a couple of heads done up and replaced liners. I set the rack up as per the book - or so I thought, adjusting 4R down until you can feel it against the stop lever - this results in the injector rack being nearly all the way in. I did the same with the other 3 heads and then disconected the tubes and set the other injectors off the 1st one for each head.The governor and linkages are a bit flogged out so its a bit tricky to get right. On start up she went to full fuel and would not stop (all though revs did decrease) *with the stop lever. I had to use the air shut-downs to get her to stop. I did not set it up myself last time alltough*the racks seemed a lot further in than before. Have I done it right?
Cheers Chris

The best thing you can do is spend the money for someone that knows what he is doing to set rack , gov and inj.

Thats all very well but these guys cost big money, if you can get them to come down and guys with experience in these engines are getting pretty thin on the ground in this part of the world (Queensland Australia). However I did manage to have a chat with the bloke who set them up to start with and he advised to check that the throttle setting was at maximum when setting the rack. I re-set the rack again and got it right second time around......

What you obviously didn't read in the book is that the throttle needs to be WOT. Then you adjust the rack holding the stop lever. When you feel the stop lever just beginb to move you stop. Also probably the most important thing to do is back the buffer screw all the way out. Next time you may not be so lucky as to get her to shut down. If she gets going fast enough she will run on her own oil. If that happens get out of the way.

Back