Logo

VHF Marine Radio

rmbanas

Howdy guys;

I recently purchased a boat with an older ray jeff 5000 marine VHF radio. It has a shakespere whip antenna (newer), with some RG-58 coax and one of the solder on ends. The wiring on the boat was fubar, so I redid all of it and when testing the radio, it turns on fine--I am able to change channels, and the green channel 16 light comes on. The red "tx" light comes on for a few milliseconds after you turn the unit on , but then goes off. When I key the mic, the light does not come on, and I have no audio whatsoever coming from the unit.

So far, I've cleaned all connections on the mic pins, and radio, taken the mic apart to verify wire continuity and that the switch works, which is all good. I've taken the radio apart, inspected the speaker wires (internal) and checked the external speaker output jack to see that it was not shorted, all of that checked ok. I re-soldered the antenna connector, it checks out with a multimeter as like 0.01ohms, I assume it's supposed to be a short to ground? Either way, you'd think I'd get some sort of noise with or without an antenna with the squelch off and volume up. There's also a high/low button on the radio (I assume 1W / 25W output selector) and it also, has no effect.

Internally, I checked as much as I could... all the caps look good, no broken solder joints or cracks, burnt stuff, etc. Is there anything I'm missing here? Or am I going to have to buy a new radio.. I'll try jumpering a speaker tomorrow to see if I can get some noise, it still bothers me that the tx light doesn't come on though when I key the mic.

Most likely, the problem is in the mic. How old is that radio? If it is more than 10 years old you should get a new one anyway because all the new ones have the DSC function ((Digital Selective Calling) installed. When hooked up to your GPS (via NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000) that will provide your exact location to the Coast Guard when the distress switch is activated.

Back