Logo

Dwelling on dwell

whitsend

A recent post explained the procedure for measuring/adjusting dwell angle. (Remove plugs, ground coil, crank engine). Why can't dwell be checked with the engine running?

Dwell can and should be!
Remember in the 60's when GM placed the window in the cap so that the dwell could be adjusted while the engine was running?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Now then; when I installed/adjusted the points (last year, so I'm a little short on specifics) I started with the recommended point gap, but I had to widen the gap quite a bit to get the dwell right. Does that indicate a distributor problem? Is there a 'rule of thumb' for maximum point gap? Engine is an '89 4.3 and it seems to start and run OK.

just need to fiddle around with the points more. There's more than one axis to slide the point mechanism around on when you loosen the mounting screw.... by playing with angles, you should be able to get the dwell and the gap within spec....you can bend stuff too as long as you don't go crazy.. I often have to tweak the point arm to get it.
it's ok if you widened it as long as it is still within spec

Back