Logo

Ball Gears on my 800

oldfatguy

Recently rebuilt my stringer 800, after my last outing I have noticed my ball gears are half gone, worn away. I never had any mashing or grinding or difficulty shifting into and out of gear. I have on 8 hours of running since the rebuild and almost all of it was trolling at 2 mph. Can anyone advise on what I have done wrong and how do I prevent this reoccurance once I replace the gears.

do not ever, never, ever run it anywhere but fully down.

Did i say never, or ever ? You will get about about 5- 8 hours sometimes 1 hour of time on the ball gears if you run it up.

You didn't overheat ?

You do know how to get the drive off without pulling the cable ?

OK, I can assure all that the unit has never been run with the trim up. The motor was not overheating, ran all day around 150, was only trolling. I have the unit off the boat as we speak and the cable is still connected, that's how I found the damage to the ball gears. Have ordered the new gears and they are here tomorrow morning, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I did when it was put back together a month ago.

There is no alignment issue.

All i can think of is the bushing on the trunions both sides. under the caps that can throw off the alignment.

or was the split in the bushing facing you both sides when you installed the caps?

My ball gears are maybe 5 percent worn original to the boat 86'

Have ordered a different brand for sure. In regards to the bushings on the trunions, I don't remember if the splits were facing me or not, should they?

Back