Logo

power trim "clicking" ??

saltwatermaniac

i have a yamaha 2000 , 90 tlry i haven't had an major issues except for this year i pressed the trim button and all i got was a "clicking" noise. it won't go up or down. i looked over all the wiring and checked the fuses and still clicking ? has anyone experienced this before or know what it might be. thanks.

Likely a motor problem but you can test easily by taking both motor wires, green and blue #10 off of the relay and touch either lead to the 12v post and the other to ground. Don't have any fuel around because there will be a small spark but the motor should run. If it doesn't the motor will have to come off for further diagnosing. Unlikely to have a relay bad in both directions if you are hearing it actuate.

thanks pbrman. i"ll give that a shot . however i did replace trim motor less than a year ago. every now and again it would make that clicking noise then start working again.i checked all visible connectors and didn't see any corroded ones. now it just clicks right behind the cover that protects the wiring. there is two screws to take out . then the plastic cover comes off and there is a round relay about 1-1/4" in diameter. i"ll have to unwrap the electrical tape where the trim is wired into the main harness . then i can try and figure out which wires run from the switch, on the side of the motor up to the throttle handle and back to the relay. i"m sure the trim motor and hydraulics are fine there is just something that is not letting current get to the trim motor. thanks for your advice.

Back