Logo

Painting an aluminium Jon Boat

Jon Boat

I need advice on what paint and primer to get to paint an aluminum Jon Boat and how to best apply it. I know I need to use a primer made to work on aluminium but that is all.

I have an old compressor that delivers 6.4 SCFM at 40 pounds. Was going to get a paint sprayer but an Interlux video said spraying their polyurethane paint can be dangerous. They recommended "Roller and tip". I assume that means using a roller and a brush for the areas a roller won't reach. Also thought of getting a good airless paint sprayer in the $150 range that will work with un-thinned oil based paint.

Any advice on what paint to get and if rolling it on will give a decent finish. If not, what paint sprayer will work well at 6.4 SCFM, bottom feed or gravity feed? Have been told an HVLP paint sprayer will help control overspray but do not know if an HVLP will work with the compressor I have.

I would was it down with vinegar, prime with zinc chromate and use the roll and tip method. Roll and tip can produce the nicest results and there are videos on you tube on doing it properly since your assumption is wrong ;)

It's not hard at all to do and it is all in the preparation.

Back